Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Chapter 11: I'm Back Baby!

It's our first night back in the guest house in the Holy Land and Mom is making her Special Potatoes. They are called special because...well...the are eSPECIALly delicious...and we were eSPECIALly lazy in the naming process.
In other news, I have begun reading a series of books by Dorothy Gilman (I have run out of JAG DVDs and I need something to entertain me) with a title character by the name of Mrs. Pollifax. Mrs. Pollifax is a grandmother from New Brunswick, New Jersey who is tapped in late life as a courier by the CIA (and not the Culinary Institute of America...oh Daphne). It makes for some truly hilarious moments (which I choose to read aloud to Mom when we are waiting in traffic, using my patented accents...which generally all sound French in the end, and not good French, but French like the chef in The Little Mermaid). Good fun had by all!
Switching topics again, I now feel like a real teacher at school...kind of. I write lesson plans, execute said lesson plans, and then observe what was effective and what totally crashed and burned. Luckily, I have not had any flaming wreckages at the end of my lessons and so have not needed to use the Little Black Box (Mom serves as the LBB as her office space is directly next to mine and she can hear everything, if she wants to). I teach one on one classes to 5 boys, all of whom are at different levels in English. They read aloud (I have almost memorized "Dr. Seuss' ABC" book), and we do activities (thank God for Hidden Pictures and the myriad of objects written in english it hides between its pages!), and I read to them (If anyone is interested in discussing Tomie dePaola's Bill and Pete series, just let me know). It's awesome.
My nasal passages are now being caressed...infiltrated?...by the wafting smells of the Special Potatoes. I have to go make Mom her Lingonberry Fizzy to show my deepest appreciation for all her efforts. Before I go, as this post does have a somewhat Bender Bending Rodriguez-esque theme to it....Bite my shiny metal rear! (for future reference, my rear is not made of metal or any alloys)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh Gwynedd! Good to have you back and posting again.

I love that I can picture exactly what's happening (well, maybe not exactly, but pretty darn close). I can smell the Special Potatoes (which I'm sure would go well with Special Drink) and here the Lingonberry Fizzy fizzing!

I love you.
dad

Followers